Thursday, October 23, 2008

Going Solo


Nonna Maria and Daniel


Fontanelle, Emilia Romagna

I had a rough night. At first I couldn't decide if I should sleep at all with that obnoxious, short, fat, bald, bejewelled Italian in dark glasses (lets call him OI for now) in the next room. I had feigned ignorance when he asked me to go for a walk with him.
Ya right!
But Nonna Maria said she would be sleeping downstairs and that I shouldn't worry, so I finally went to my room. When I eventually decided that leaving the television in the room on was not helping, and if I had to wake up at 5:30 am, I had beter sleep, I found it was too hot. I kept waking up drenched in perspiration.
At some point I must have finally fallen asleep, but then the skies went berserk. There was a long thunderstorm complete with lightening effects. I woke up not exactly perky.
Nonna Maria had prepared breakfast at 6:00 am in the morning! The home made butter, bread and jam and coffee in a soup bowl were the best I have ever had. It was an unexpected treat.
In addition, Iuri would not accept the fact that I could walk to the bus stop myself and was up and ready to drop me off. Nonna Maria sent me off with kisses and lots of good wishes and though I did see that OI again that morning, my trip to the Bassa was an experience like none other.

No comments:

Post a Comment